Sunday 11 May 2014

Teacher

Sitting at the other end, I thought how fast it had worked and how soon it will be completed. She sat opposite with questions pouring from her lips like the tap in my bathroom. I knew well that I had been late in reporting there but the distance from home and the strangeness of the direction there are to be called into question. 'Have you taught before?' She continued after enquiring about my name. 'Yes ma, but at a JAMB lesson centre' was the reply I can utter. 'and it was just for a month' I thought I added. I was gradually sweating but not perspiring. I never thought there can be a school at that hidden part of the town. The one-storeyed building stood beside a swampy bush which spread to its front. I managed to remember the job-seeking and interviews ethics I had both previously heard and bought books on. 'Okay, write me an application letter,' she requested. 'Ha, I am not here with any paper since I am coming straight from home and I was in a hurry,' I explained pleadingly. 'You can write it here then. Have this sheet of paper,' she passed a torn sheet of 'higher education' paper to me. 'Do you need pen?' 'No, ma. I have a pen here.' 'Who should I address it to, ma?' I asked. 'You can address it to the proprietress.' she answered. Few minutes later, a satisfactory comment was passed on the letter and the salary and class to be taught ironed out. The introduction to the teacher-in-charge was swiftly done and I was left to check the scheme of work alongside rewrite the timetable. I was on this when the male teachers came to introduce themselves and welcome me into the system. The 'break-time' came and went by but I decided to wait till the closing hour. I played with my phone and went through the strange-looking book opened before me several times only to try and grab the teaching ethics and lessons of my soon-to-be class. I obediently listened to instructions from the teacher-in-charge in readiness for the next day when my payment will start counting.

2 comments: